perkins ponzio greek sabin taft
greek man messages venus

About Us

Articles & News

Working with Clay

Materials, products, processes, suggestions and tips involving how sculpture is made.

Working with Clay

Postby Walt » Sun May 29, 2011 11:00 am

I was working 2 jobs during the school year and now that its summer I want to continue sculpting outside of class so I quit one of my jobs and used the last paycheck to buy some clay and clay tools. I want to start with a 16-18 inch male figure. I am using Plasticine clay and working from anatomy books right now but I may be able to get a model in the next week or so. Any tips on working with clay? I have only worked with metal in the past so this is kinda foreign to me.

Re: Working with Clay

Postby jayarrera » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Walt, you may want to check out a tutorial I did on working with clay. Hope it helps:
http://blog.jayarrera.com/2010/03/tutor ... l-for.html

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:41 pm

I work in clay a good bit. I use Klean Klay I get from Dick Blick; it's the lowest price anywhere. They call it Blick gray clay, or something like that. It's a no sulfur clay, which is necessary if you are going to make a rubber mold.

There is a European web site that has models. This is the link for the female site but you can get to the male site from there.

You can join for one month for about $40 US. The advantage there is that they have the model on a turntable and take photographs from every 45 degrees of the same pose.

I make smoothing tools from common builder's supply silicon caulk. They are flexible so they don't dig in. Also to finish it off I use naphtha (or Coleman camping stove fuel) and a fine brush.

Postby dwarak17 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 am

Great presentation for the ceramic tip with the right speed and flow of explanations to be work with clay

Postby vincentaabronze » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 am

I had ever made a little clay jar with my friends, but it's bottom cracked with a slit. I really want to know how could it happened. Is that for the lack of clay?

Return to Construction techniques and processes