Articles & News

links

Contact

Submissions

spacer
header5
header5

Hydrostone question

Materials, products, processes, suggestions and tips involving how sculpture is made.

Hydrostone question

Postby Barbatos » Mon May 08, 2017 5:03 am

This is a two part question.

1: I had some small air bubbles in this cast. I thought bondo would be a good filler for hydrostone, but found it actually has very poor adhesion, among other problems. Any ideas on what might be a good filler for minor air bubbles in a hydrstone casts would be appreciated.

2: In the process of sanding and washing this cast to prepare it for polychrome I noticed that hydrostone "sweats" these strange dust beads whenever it gets wet (see attached image). They are easily dusted away, and I will prime and color this cast with oils so it should be water tight in the end, but wondered if my mix ratios were off, or if this this is a common trait of hydrostone.

http://pasteboard.co/3NWA8vSLH.jpg
Barbatos

Re: Hydrostone question

Postby sleepingcowboy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:15 pm

A quick question; How long did you let the piece dry? I only ask because the only time i've had anything like what your picture is showing is when I didn't let the hydrostone completely dry out ie. bone dry.

This can take up to a week depending on the humidity in your area. I live in North Texas where it is moderately humid and have to let them dry for at least 4 days sometimes more if it's been raining.

I'd be interested in learning what you've figured out.

p.s.
I've heard tell that you can heat dry hydrostone using 120 degree heat source and 30fps airflow. I do no know if this is true. I never had the guts to test it out.

-SC
sleepingcowboy

Return to Construction techniques and processes