Articles & News

links

Contact

Submissions

spacer
header5
header5

Working with Clay

Materials, products, processes, suggestions and tips involving how sculpture is made.

Working with Clay

Postby Walt » Sun May 29, 2011 11:00 am

I was working 2 jobs during the school year and now that its summer I want to continue sculpting outside of class so I quit one of my jobs and used the last paycheck to buy some clay and clay tools. I want to start with a 16-18 inch male figure. I am using Plasticine clay and working from anatomy books right now but I may be able to get a model in the next week or so. Any tips on working with clay? I have only worked with metal in the past so this is kinda foreign to me.
Walt

Re: Working with Clay

Postby jayarrera » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Walt, you may want to check out a tutorial I did on working with clay. Hope it helps:
http://blog.jayarrera.com/2010/03/tutor ... l-for.html
jayarrera

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:41 pm

I work in clay a good bit. I use Klean Klay I get from Dick Blick; it's the lowest price anywhere. They call it Blick gray clay, or something like that. It's a no sulfur clay, which is necessary if you are going to make a rubber mold.

There is a European web site that has models. This is the link for the female site but you can get to the male site from there.

http://www.female-anatomy-for-artist.com/?id=16&page=34

You can join for one month for about $40 US. The advantage there is that they have the model on a turntable and take photographs from every 45 degrees of the same pose.

I make smoothing tools from common builder's supply silicon caulk. They are flexible so they don't dig in. Also to finish it off I use naphtha (or Coleman camping stove fuel) and a fine brush.

Richard
Richard

Postby dwarak17 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 am

Great presentation for the ceramic tip with the right speed and flow of explanations to be work with clay
dwarak17

Postby vincentaabronze » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:34 am

I had ever made a little clay jar with my friends, but it's bottom cracked with a slit. I really want to know how could it happened. Is that for the lack of clay?
vincentaabronze

Postby gupinftnaja22 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Want to try our friend?

holiday palace
gupinftnaja22

Return to Construction techniques and processes