Next stage was desprueing welding on leg, sandblasting. You will notice at this stage of sandblasting the surface is quite matt due to the aluminium oxide abrassive used. I finish with a final blasting with glass beads this pleens the surface giving it a nice shine.
This one was cast solid. I had to do a bit of heating on the hand to open it up a bit to fit the stainless steel bar (which will look good when polished up)
Did another a short time after which was hollow. I made up a core of plaster, sand and molocite flour (that I normally use as a slurry for the ceramic shell) although it is usually just the sand and plaster. The waxes are hollow so its just a matter of pouring it in with some pins through the wax that secures the the core to the shell on the outside for when the wax has been removed.
Looked promising initially but after cleaning off the shell the defects started to show. Although I think I know where I went wrong tips and advice are welcome.
Over all view with leg TIGed on.
Larger view of TIG weld
Close up of back. Shell must have broken away inside so allowing bronze to fill the reccess. This can be fixed by resculpting with burrs in a dremel type tool.
Similar thing on back of hand and arm. Back of hair I think wax was too thin leaving too narrow a space and bronze didnt fill it.
Bronze didnt fill these spots either. Dont know why as of the edge of the bronze here didnt look particularily thin
Thin area on shin. This will be a challenge to fill with bronze without damaging the detail. Any advice?
More holes on the knee and upper leg. I attempted to use TIG to melt some bronze in here. The sand blasting removed the core so I back filled with sand to give a base so the molten bronze wouldnt fall through. Unfortunately I run out of Argon as I'm using those tiny rip off disposables. I melted this hole larger than it was originally as I had the TIG up highish to melt the 'filler rod'. Which is actually very thick as I am using the sprues that I cut off. Note; need to get some proper filler rod. The leg has melted back to thicker bronze now so when I get some more argon I will be able to flatten and merge that blob with the surrounding metal.
There is alot of work to do on this one and I'm not sure whether to scrap it and start again. If it didnt take so long to get to this stage it would be in the pot by now.
Will post pics of the good one when it has had the patination applied.