Articles & News

links

Contact

Submissions

spacer
header5
header5

Clay Warmer designs

Materials, products, processes, suggestions and tips involving how sculpture is made.

Clay Warmer designs

Postby briankeithfineart » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 am

I am designing another clay warmer for my oil-based clay in my studio. The one I have now works well but I am looking to make something bigger. I would like to see designs of your clay warmers or pictures of what works. I am considering using an incubator for the help of keeping my clay consistently at a temp that is workable. Why reinvent the wheel. But if it's got to be invented then I might as well have some wisdom to go along with it.
briankeithfineart

Re: Clay Warmer designs

Postby Richard » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:20 pm

I use a wooden box made from 3/4 inch pine with a piece of 1/2 inch plywood for a top. For heat I use an incandescent light bulb, not one of the coil florescents. The wattage of the light bulb would depend on the size of the box. I use a 60 watt bulb in a box about fourteen inches square. The light bulb lies in the bottom of the box and there is a floor above it made from rat wire (hardware cloth). I laid some slats of thin wood over that to keep the clay from direct exposure to the light bulb. Wooden cigar boxes would be ideal. That's where I got my slats of thin wood. I am my own thermometer; when the clay starts getting a little softer than I want it I turn off the light bulb for a while. I put one of those inline switches in the electric cord. I used to just unplug it. It works for me. In fact, I can't imagine anything that would improve it, other than maybe a thermostat switch with a temperature control knob. I won't be doing that; what I have works just fine.

As an aside, I use Klean Klay, which is sulfur free, and costs practically nothing from Dick Blick. He calls it Blick Gray Modelling Clay. Costs a bit over a dollar a pound. It's about double that direct from the manufacturer. Go figure.

Richard
Richard

Re: Clay Warmer designs

Postby C.R.Larkin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:57 am

Put the clay in a tin foil lined box, and put it in the oven with the light on.
The light bulb in an oven provides quite a lot of heat. During the summer I put it outside. I live in New Mexico where it is hot, but have lived in Iowa, and it is hot enough to melt clay there too.
C.R.Larkin

Return to Construction techniques and processes